- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sage leaves, minced
- 1 tbsp OLD BAY® Seasoning
- 1 bottle Old Scratch Amber Lagerс
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 900 grams local white cheddar, such as Hawk’s Hill, grated, tossed with 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1-2 tsp snake oil or other hot sauce
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat and add onions and garlic, stirring until just beginning to colour.
Add sage and OLD BAY® Seasoning, stirring well. Add beer and lemon juice, bring to a simmer, and start adding cheese, whisking to incorporate.
Reduce heat and season with hot sauce. Do not return to a boil once cheese is added.
Eat as a dip with any of the “Serve with” items or pour over toast mounded with Maryland Jumbo Lump Crabmeat and diced tomatoes to make a Chesapeake Rarebit.
Serve with: Pretzels Toasts Crackers Vegetables Salami Apples